Friday, March 29, 2013

The washing of the feet "is my duty" that "I do this with my heart" for "this is what the Lord has taught me," pope tells youth at Casal del Marmo

http://d3.yimg.com/sr/img/4/d35d8521-6735-396f-91b5-1c9b6179e44e
"We have to help each other". Indeed, "whoever is higher [in standing] must be at the service of others," the pope said as he explained his 'washing of the feet' to ten boys and two girls currently detained in a Rome youth prison. What is more, "Don't let anyone take away hope from you!" he told them.

Like Pope John Paul II on 6 January 1980 and Benedict XVI on 18 March 2007, Pope Francis opened the Triduum of Holy Week by celebrating the In Caena Domini Mass at the Casal Del Marmo Youth Detention Centre in Rome.

In a family-like atmosphere, prison chaplain Fr Gaetano Greco explained to the 49 inmates the meaning and significance of the ritual for most of them are neither Christian nor Italian. 

In a brief, impromptu homily, Pope Francis did the same.

Jesus, he told them, taught us to "love one another." And "I do it with my heart. I do this with my heart for it is my duty. As a priest and bishop, I must be at your service. [. . .] I love doing it for this is what the Lord has taught me."

"Peter," the pontiff noted, "could not understand and refused but Jesus explained it to him. 'Do you realise what I have done for you? You call me 'teacher' and 'master,' and rightly so, for indeed I am. If I, therefore, the master and teacher, washed your feet, you ought to wash one another's feet'."

"It is not as if we need to wash each other's feet every day,' he said jokingly. "But we must help each other. At times, I was angry with you. Let bygones be bygones! If someone asks you for a favour, do it!"

"Helping each other is what Jesus taught us and this is what I do. I do it with my heart for it is my duty. As a priest and as a bishop I must be at your service. However, it is a duty that comes from the heart and I love doing it because this is what the Lord taught me. But you too should help each other, always; in so doing, we shall do what is good."

"Now we shall perform the ceremony of the washing of the feet," the pope said. "Let us think! Let each one of us think whether we are prepared to help one another. Just thing about that! Think about it as Jesus' gentle touch for that is why Jesus came, to serve and help us." Imaging "Jesus washing the feet of his disciples is moving."

Ranging between 14 and 17 years of age, the youth sang during the Mass with a guitar as musical accompaniment. At the end of the service, conscius of their age the pope told them, "I'll see you later at the gym".

At the gym, the pontiff thanked centre officials, but was especially grateful towards the boys and girls, telling them, "Don't let anyone take away hope from you."

Also at the gym, the Pope listened to the Italian Justice Minister Paola Severino, who, taking her cue from the pope, said that the boys and girls were being "looked after" with sensitivity, love and understanding.

At the end, gifts were exchanged. The boys and girls gave the Holy Father a cross and a prie-dieu in wood that they had made themselves and received in return Easter cake and chocolate.